Sunday, December 11, 2005

What some people do for air miles...

I've heard of filling up for gas and buying the extra pack of gum to get a few extra air miles, but this is one guy who has way too much time on his hands. Apparently, he decided to put 50 days aside, and invest $7,000 so that he could "earn" one million air miles (worth about $70,000). I'm not sure if he was succesfull in the end, but either way, it's a very strange idea. I saw this a while ago on the Canada.com site, but I can't find it anymore (they've since redesigned their site). So, I will re-print it here, on my blog for you all to read and enjoy -- re-printed without permission of course.

Passenger one in a million
Greg Joyce
The Canadian Press

Saturday, October 15, 2005


Pilot Marc Tacchi is seeing the country the way most Canadians never could -
- or would.

He is soaring with Air Canada, here, there and everywhere, over and over again.

Tacchi is currently a frequent flyer with the airline -- a very, very frequent flyer trying to accumulate one million air mile credits. He aims to do it before the end of November.

A commercial cargo pilot, Tacchi decided two weeks ago to take Air Canada up on its North America Unlimited Pass offer, which costs the customer $3,500 a month and allows unlimited travel to more than 100 destinations in North America.

"I was in Miami on Monday, I think," Tacchi said last week during a brief layover at Vancouver International Airport.

"I thought I'd have a problem with customs but the U.S. and Canada Customs people just laughed and thought it was a great idea."

He has the whole thing figured out, down to the total number of air points he's racking up each day.

He even manages to spend three nights a week sleeping in his own bed in Vancouver and will have the million points in the bag within 50 days.

"I'm flying about 7,500 miles or points a day," he explained. "But I hold super-elite status so it multiplies out at 2.75. I'm doing 19,000 points a day.

"I guarantee I'll do it. I can do it easily."

The strategy is not a vacationer's dream, but's it's effective for his purposes.

The "trick" is to spend the day flying back and forth between Vancouver and Victoria and Vancouver and Nanaimo.

"They are short trips that last about 15 minutes. They garner a minimum 500 miles."

By contrast, a flight to Calgary also garners 500 points but takes almost 90 minutes.

In the evenings, Tacchi broadens his horizons, flying the trans-continentals to Toronto or Montreal.

"And I do red-eyes, which I'm able to upgrade as super-elite most of the time so I get to sleep in business class."

As soon as he arrives, he gets back on the return flight to Vancouver, arriving in time to resume the daily grind of flying to Vancouver Island and back.

Even more astounding is the fact Tacchi takes 36 hours out of the odyssey to do his job. He works for another airline, flying a 767 cargo jet to Europe once a week.

The one million air miles translates into 10 round-trip business class trips to Australia or Asia.

"It's about a $70,000 value, all for a $7,000 investment," said Tacchi.

"I figure a million miles will basically cover my travel for the next three to four years."

© The Calgary Herald 2005

1 comment:

Steven Luscher said...

Marc Tacchi became an Internet celebrity upon reaching his goal of accumulating over 1,000,000 mileage points on Air Canada flights in the space of 60 days. We estimate that his project, named "The Great Canadian Mileage Run 2005", has resulted in the emission of approximately 140 Metric Tons of CO2 – a climate-forcing greenhouse gas. It is our goal to restore the balance by investing in a Vancouver based carbon-offset program, thereby preventing the future release of 140 Metric Tons of CO2 – but we need your help!

Join The Great Canadian Carbon Offset 2006 – help us reach our goal of CAD$2100 by Midnight PST on January 27th, 2006 by making a donation today!

http://gcco2006.blogspot.com/